About the Women’s Forum
Preeminent New York women leaders across many fields created the Women’s Forum in 1974 to make a difference for each other and take an active leadership role in matters of importance to them. Since 1987 the Women’s Forum Education Fund has provided Awards to help mature women—35 and older—pursue educational goals and enhance their capacities to provide leadership and productive and supportive service to their communities and beyond.
About the Award
The Award recognizes extraordinary and often heroic effort in overcoming adversity as women restructure their lives for success. Unlike financial aid or scholarships, the $10,000 Award goes directly to the recipient for whatever needs loom largest for her, whether tuition, childcare, medical bills, elder care, transportation, housing, or any other priority. Candidates for an Award and their references should share the narrative of obstacles confronted and overcome, and also of demonstrated leadership and care for their community.
Over the past 30 years, Awards have been granted to over 240 women, amounting in over $1.6 million in assistance. Award recipients have gone on to obtain bachelor degrees, masters degrees, and Ph.D.s, and are current leaders in their communities.
The awards will be given to women aged 35 and over who have faced and overcome adversity and now, after an interruption in their education, have resumed the pursuit of their first Associate or Bachelor degree. Applicants must demonstrate noteworthy promise and resilience in the face of challenges and must also demonstrate a commitment to helping others and to making a difference in their community, large or small, when their own career goals are achieved. Financial need and academic excellence are not the primary determining factors in the selection of recipients, although true financial need should be evident and the candidate should be in good academic standing.
- be 35 years old by December 31, 2018 (birth date no later than December 31, 1983)
- attend college at a two or four year institution within New York City
- reside in New York City
- be pursuing her FIRST Associate or Bachelor degree and have earned at least 12 credits in good standing
- have attended a college in New York City during the 2017-2018 academic year and be enrolled for at least 6 credits in the 2018-2019 academic year
- have at least 9 credits to complete graduation requirements after June 2019
- If completing an Associate degree in December or June, must then provide evidence of admission to a Bachelor degree program
- complete an additional semester of 6 or more credits within twelve months of receiving the Award, i.e., by July, 2020
Applicant must submit an official transcript with her application. Award will be given to the 2019 Women’s Forum Awardees in two installments: $5,000 upon notification of Award by June 30, 2019 and $5,000 in January 2020 or July 2020, upon successful completion of an additional semester of 6 or more credits. Recipients will be required to submit an official transcript for their additional semester of 6 or more credits before the second installment is awarded. The Women’s Forum will issue a Form 1099 to all Awardees in January 2020, for calendar year 2019, and again in January 2021, for calendar year 2020.
Applicant must submit two Personal Essays of no more than 500 words each, the first addressing her personal history and the second addressing her career goals and motivation, and also a brief financial summary. All three items are described below:
- Personal history, challenges, and obstacles, other than financial, that she has overcome while pursuing an education, and general academic record as an indication of noteworthy leadership promise. (Financial need will be addressed separately.)
- Career goals and motivation. If appropriate, include any meaningful involvement, as well as any leadership experience, in community service, art, athletics, business, science, or other extracurricular activities.
- Financial Summary describing her present and anticipated financial situation. Please state how receiving this Award will help you achieve your goals.
DEADLINE: APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED ONLINE, AND TRANSCRIPT AND LETTERS OF REFERENCE MUST BE POSTMARKED BY DECEMBER 31, 2018
- Application must be submitted ONLINE by December 31, 2018. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Official transcript must be mailed to the Women’s Forum and postmarked by December 31, 2018. An official transcript contains a college seal from the registrar.
- Letters of reference must be mailed to the Women’s Forum and postmarked by December 31, 2018. They should be mailed in sealed envelopes that have been signed on the back by the endorsers. They may be mailed directly by the endorser or by the applicant, as long as the envelopes are sealed and signed on back by the endorsers.
- Application and confidential letters of reference will not be returned to the applicant.
- Transcript and letters of recommendation should be mailed to:
WOMEN’S FORUM OF NEW YORK
59 EAST 54TH STREET, SUITE 81
NEW YORK, NY 10022